Monday, April 30, 2018

The Lotus as Inspiration

Two days a week I work at a retirement community in East Cleveland facilitating art therapy projects.  Whenever there is a 5th Monday in a month I have the day off so I thought I would use some of this time to blog.

The past month I have been reading about the Lotus flower, pod and seed.   I have been reading mostly about how to grow the flower.  And then there is the spiritual side of the lotus.  The story of this flower which is used to teach parables in such religions as Buddhism and Taoism has intrigued me for years so I finally started making lotus pods out of clay.  I am making what I think of as the skeleton of the flower, the pod, while using artistic license to distort the form.

Later this year I will have a show at Brick Gallery in Waterloo and have been invited to participate in the Ceramics Show at The Gallery at Lakeland in Kirtland.  The work I am making now is inspiring so many new ideas which will be ready to present at these shows.  Most of the pods are loaded in the kiln waiting to be bisque fired.  Later this week I will take images of the unglazed work for posting.

Concept to Creation,
Theresa Yondo

No comments: