Monday, March 21, 2011

Who Does She Think She Is?

Yesterday, on P.B.S., I watched the movie Who Does She Think She Is.  The movie focused on the plight of women in art today and through history.  At this point in my life, as a women in the arts, I found the movie informative rather than disturbing.  I suppose the movie helped to put many things in perspective. 
Check it out for yourself at http://www.whodoesshethinksheis.net/
I can't let this topic go without writing this.  As a women teacher working in the arts, one of the oddest things that was said to me when going to the boss to resolve a problem was you should have been born a man.  And, I always loved this one; Oh by the way, I switched your schedule around next week.  I know this will not be a problem since you don't have kids. 
Three things I can always rely on when working in the arts;
You can be assured that you will always have part time work, get low pay and keep other people in higher paid jobs with benefits.
I do hope one day that people will understand and value the role of the artist in society. 

As today's blog is focused on women in the arts, there is another movie worth checking out about the art and life of Seraphine De Senlis.  Go to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1048171/ and you can watch a trailer of the movie.  This movie intensely explores the calling and passion that consumes the inner being of an artist to make art.

Concept to Creation,
Theresa Yondo

No comments: