Sunday, January 16, 2011

Teabowl 2011

 Exploring Japanese words for teabowl!
These porcelain teabowls are at the Stripes Show
 (see January 3rd post)  $40.00 each
Teabowls also function as a vessel for holding food.
 Japanese teabowls come in many shapes and sizes.  The Japanese have several different names for a tea bowl such as Banchawan, Chawan, Guinomi, Matchawan, Senchawan, Yunomi.  These words have confused me for many years until today.  I gratefully found this scholarly link on Japanese terms for ceramic drinking vessels.  http://www.unc.edu/~mpitelka/bowl_terms.html


 I have a catalog from Bonhams Fine Art Auctioneers on 20th Century Japanese Ceramics titled the Tea Bowl and dated Tuesday 8 November 2005 London.  This catalog shows images of just about every teabowl shape imaginable.  One thing that most, not all, of the teabowls have in common are their simplicity in surface decoration.  My work of course falls into the minority of tea bowls as my highly patterned glazing does not always convey stillness in an object.  I see pattern in just about everything. 

Concept to Creation,
Theresa Yondo

No comments: