Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Teapot and Wabi Sabi


I recently visited Donna Iona Drozda's blog. Donna was blogging about a workshop she was teaching on Wabi Sabi. Wabi Sabi is a Japanese view of finding the beauty in imperfection. This is a reoccurring topic in the life of many artists. Recently, I revisited this topic with Mark Reibstein’s childrens' book Wabi Sabi, illustrated by the fabulous Ed Young. I used the book to teach collage and Haiku to a group of young ones. The young group easily understood the message in the lesson and the collage assignment of creating a house or area of refuge was easily understood in the context of a secret garden. Many young ones struggle constantly as their minds are often to advanced for the little bodies that they inhabit. It is a good thing for them to understand the beauty in imperfection. In some way, there is a connection between a small child understanding the beauty in imperfection and an artist continuing their work to advance their skills.
Years ago, as a young clay artist, I did find this same analogy to be true. My ideas were way to advanced for the skills I had with the clay. Thank goodness for passion, vision and dedication. I am currently working with this idea in a new series of teapots. By the way, thanks Jeanne for letting me know about Mark Reibstein's book Wabi Sabi, illustrated by Ed Young.
Theresa Yondo
Concept to Creation

No comments: